Bank notes of 2,000 denomination worth Rs 3.32 lakh crore have been received back by banks till August 31, in response to information collated by the Reserve Bank of (*31*) (RBI).
Consequently, Rs 2,000 banknotes in circulation on the shut of enterprise on August 31 stood at Rs 0.24 lakh crore when it comes to worth.
Thus, 93 per cent of the Rs 2,000 banknotes in circulation, as on May 19, have since been returned, the central financial institution stated.
Data collected from main banks signifies that out of the entire banknotes in Rs 2,000 denomination received back from circulation, about 87 per cent of them are within the type of deposits and the remaining round 13 per cent have been exchanged into different denomination banknotes.
The RBI has urged members of the general public to utilise the remaining interval till September 30 to deposit or alternate the Rs 2,000 banknotes held with them.
On May 19, the federal government had introduced that 2,000 denomination notes can be withdrawn from circulation by September 30 and had urged individuals to get them deposited or exchanged earlier than the stated deadline.
(With inputs from IANS)